SASKATOON, Saskatchewan–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Modern society would not be possible without biotechnology. From vaccines and medicines, to crops, foods, cleaners, and industrial products, biotechnology benefits every area of our lives.
In Saskatchewan, we celebrate Global Biotech Week to showcase the province’s scientific achievements and increase awareness of how science affects our lives. Ag-West Bio coordinates Global Biotech Week activities in Saskatchewan each year, with the support of a local committee. The week is packed with events, both for the public and industry.
Ag-West Bio President and CEO Karen Churchill says Saskatchewan people have good reason to celebrate biotechnology. “We have world-class research happening right here in our province, with prolific work in crop development, a high-level vaccine research centre, and all kinds of fermentation R&D activity. We should be proud of our scientific community.”
The Province of Saskatchewan, City of Saskatoon and City of Regina have each proclaimed September 26 to October 2, 2022 as Global Biotech Week.
Saskatchewan’s activities include:
- Nuit Blanche: Making Art with Bacteria – September 24 – A beautiful collaboration between Nuit Blanche and Sask Polytechnic. A harmless e.coli bacteria is used as a painting medium. As the bacteria multiplies, magic happens! (Oskayak School – Broadway & Main, Saskatoon).
- Taste of Innovation – September 26 – An industry luncheon at Boffins to kick-off a week of celebrating science!
- Indigenous Voices in Science – September 27 – Hosted by Genome Prairie, a panel of scholars and researchers will share their experiences and perspectives on advancing indigenous people in research and science.
- Café Scientifique: Why communities are at the heart of global conservation efforts – September 27 – Join Dr. James Robson (USask) for a hybrid presentation at Innovation Place.
- Canadian Light Source Tour – September 28 – Tour Canada’s synchrotron to learn how researchers and industry are using cutting-edge synchrotron techniques to drive biotech innovation.
The Biotech Explosion: Amazing Innovations in Agriculture and Medicine with Dr. Kevin Folta – September 28
Learn how scientists work with nature to benefit people and the planet from Dr. Kevin Folta, a professor at the University of Florida and an award-winning science communicator.
Biotech & Beer @The Mix: The original ‘micro’-breweries: connecting yeast with beer flavors – September 29
The event includes a talk and beer tasting led by Dr. Chris Eskiw (USask), followed by Biotech Trivia!
- Climate Cool: Exploring science solutions for sustainability – October 1 – Agriculture in the Classroom will be at Nutrien Wonderhub with hands-on, table-top science activities for all ages. A primer on how to design a poster to explain a science concept will prepare students to enter a poster competition!
- Sask Food Centre Open House – October 4 – Tour the Food Centre and learn how its Fermentation and Bioengineering Program can help accelerate food (and pet food) innovation.
- Startupville Podcast – watch for the special Biotech Week Edition.
For event details, please visit www.globalbiotechweeksask.ca.
About Global Biotech Week:
Originating in Canada in 2003, Biotech Week is now recognized around the world as Global Biotech Week. Events scheduled throughout the United States, Europe, Australia, and Canada highlight the innovation and creativity of life science researchers. BIOTECanada spearheads Global Biotech Week in collaboration with partners from across Canada. To learn more about Global Biotech Week around the world, visit globalbiotechweek.ca.
About Ag-West Bio:
Ag-West Bio is Saskatchewan’s bioscience industry association. The company works as a catalyst for developing partnerships and industry growth in the bioeconomy through investments, aiding strategic alliances, and providing business planning support, regulatory advice, and communications. Funding for Ag-West Bio is provided by the Saskatchewan Ministry of Agriculture and Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada’s Canadian Agricultural Partnership (CAP) program.